Most savvy business owners know and understand the importance of SEO and how keyword research is the preliminary task that is critical to any SEO campaign.
What I find from most of my clients that do know a thing or two about keyword research is that they perform their keyword research based on the services and products they are selling and not based on potential clients awareness level of their services or products.
At Chase Web Solutions we have implemented our web design and seo keyword research philosophy around key principles that are discussed in the book titled – “Convert: Designing Websites To Increase Traffic and Conversions“. At the heart of this book is the principle of segmenting your market based on a visitor’s awareness level.
Keyword Research based on User Awareness
Understanding the awareness levels of your visitors as it pertains to your products and services is critical when doing keyword research. Without this understanding your keyword research will be unorganized and incomplete at best.
So what are Awareness Levels?
Awareness levels is a model to follow when segmenting your target markets. It consists of the following levels:
- Level 0 – This segment of people need your service/product but don’t realize they need it yet.
- Level 1 – This segment of people need your service/product and they realize it, but don’t know what is available.
- Level 2 – This segment of people need your service/product and they know of solutions, but they don’t know about your solution.
- Level 3 – This segment of people know about your service/product, but don’t know how it’s better than any of your competitor’s product/services.
- Level 4 – This segment of people know about your service/product, know about the benefits, but are still not ready to buy yet.
- Level 5 – This segment of people have been convinced and are ready to buy your product/service.
Where is Your Market on the Awareness Ladder?
So by understanding your market, your product/service, and the awareness levels of potential clients, you are now in a position to perform keyword research based on these levels. Keywords that people at level 0 will search for are totally different than keywords that people at level 3 will search on. Also the sales copy that you write will be totally different for each segment.
By following this fundamental concept the efforts of your keyword research will ultimately create multiple offerings that will reach more target markets, which will create an ability to channel your website visitors using a custom funnel that will satisfy the concerns of that market segment.
Also if you have your SEO outsourced, and you are not sure how your keyword research is being done, then ask your SEO consultant. If it’s not along the lines explained above then you may want to dig deeper to understand their philosophy when it comes to keyword research.